Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Burrowing Owls
stand guard at
Pioneer Middle School
This gallant pair of burrowing owls stand watch over their young while traffic flows along 90th Avenue in Cooper City. This burrow is located in front of Pioneer Middle School and the owls seem oblivious to the students or the cars.
In this photo, you can see the first baby emerging
from the burrow. It was about 11 AM.

Here you can see two of the babies have emerged
from the burrow and the top of a third one's head
is visible. One parent is on the right.

Around 1:30, I checked in on them and only two babies
were outside the burrow, fussing in the direction
of the only visible parent.

Finally someone showed up with food and this
agressive little one insisted he/she could
do it alone. Tear up the lizard, that is ...

4 comments:

Alpaca Granny said...

This is so interesting! I didn't know of a burrowing owl. Thanks for sharing.

PoetC7 said...

Carl Hiaasen wrote a book that was made into a movie about these little guys. It was produced by Jimmy Buffet and it's called, "HOOT." If you have a chance to check it out, I'm sure you'll enjoy it! All the kids in our schools read "HOOT" in fifth grade! And, the owls are common on school playgrounds, so it's something real for the children.

Piper said...

You are a "Hoot" my dear friend. Between you and my husband I stay well informed on many topics. Had I known this in advance I might not have gone to the University.
Love you

PoetC7 said...

I am sad to report that one of the babies was run over by a car this week. Teachers and students share my grief and an investigation is under way to determine what happened. Given the position of the burrow to the road, it appears this was done deliberately. It makes me sick on my stomach ...